Biosafety and Occupational Risk Prevention in Microbiology Laboratories (PRLM)
The course is aimed at all those who work in Microbiology laboratories and/or animal facilities interested in the field of Biosafety and Risk Prevention in these workplaces.
The professors and collaborators of this Course are Graduates and/or Doctors in Veterinary Medicine and Biology, with training in Occupational Risk Prevention, as well as Laboratory and Maintenance technicians, and based on our training and our teaching, research and work experience. in high biological risk facilities we hope to have prepared a pleasant and simple agenda that you find
interesting and you can continue without difficulty whatever your training.
If you are interested in this training and want to know all the details about its content and operation, you can do so by sending an email to the course coordinators (Ana Mª García, Diego A. Moreno)
The purpose of this Course is to understand the meaning and importance of biological risk management in Microbiology Laboratories and/or animal facilities. Effectively controlling the risk posed by the handling of material and/or biological agents is essential to protect the personnel of the work centers and the environment and community that surrounds them. Knowledge of the preventive measures to be applied and their proper implementation will reduce risk and effectively control it, creating a safe environment. The learning objectives of the Course are:
- Understand the concepts of Biosafety and Bioprotection, and the elements that influence the achievement of effective biological risk management.
- Know the most relevant guides, documents and standards in Biosafety.
- Know the legislation on Occupational Risk Prevention, mainly in relation to biological risk, but also in relation to occupational risks in Microbiology Laboratories and how to prevent them.
- Know how to put into practice the knowledge acquired in your workplace.
The Course program consists of ten Didactic Units grouped into three modules. Module I explains the basic concepts and elements that are applied in the area of Biosafety: Biosafety (Biosafety), Bioprotection (Biosecurity), containment, risk groups of biological agents, Biosafety levels, Biosafety facilities, Equipment Biosafety and safe work methods (Appropriate Microbiological Techniques). Module II deals with the Spanish legislation on the Prevention of Occupational Risks, focusing on biological risks and the most common risks of Microbiology Laboratories. And finally, Module III
It exposes practical cases of application of biological risk management in specific facilities, in specific cases of analysis work in microbiology laboratories and the use of experimental animals that require inoculation of microorganisms, detailing the techniques and measures applied.
1. Introduction to Biosafety
2. Biosafety levels
3. Relationship between risk groups and Biosafety Levels
4. Risk assessment
5. Biological Hazard
7. Biosafety Equipment
8. Safe working methods (Appropriate Microbiological Techniques)
9. Introduction to Prevention legislation
10. Introduction to the VISAVET Health Surveillance Center and its facilities
11. Practical assumption: Sample with suspected bovine tuberculosis
12. Case study: Experience with ovine brucellosis
13. Verification of biological containment facilities and other assumptions
Request more information
Fill in this form and we will contact you to offer you the information you need.